You don't have to go without a healthy breakfast in the morning, even if time is tight. Here are some ways you can start your day out with a quick, nutritious meal that will keep you energized throughout the morning.
Stock Your Kitchen
To make breakfast at home, keep your kitchen stocked with some healthy staples. Pick a few foods that you like from the list below and keep them on hand.
- Fresh fruit — whole fruit like apples, banana, oranges, clementines, pears, nectarines and peaches are easy to grab and go
- Frozen fruit — keep a bag or two in your freezer to use in smoothies or to mix with light yogurt
- Canned fruit — try individual-sized cups of mandarin oranges, peaches or fruit cocktail (canned in juice, not syrup)
- Dried fruit — raisins, dried cranberries, etc. are great in oatmeal or mixed with nuts
- Quick oats — in single-serving packs or a bulk container (quick oats can be ready in less than 2 minutes)
- 100% whole wheat bread or English muffins
- Unsweetened whole grain or bran cereal
- Unsalted nuts — try dry roasted walnuts, pecans, almonds, peanuts or a mix
- Peanut butter and/or almond butter — nut butters will keep you feeling full from the combination of protein and fat
Eggs & Dairy
- Eggs or egg substitute — they cook quickly and can be ready in a matter of minutes
- Skim or 1% milk — soymilk or almond milk are also good options, especially for those with a lactose intolerance
- Light/non-fat yogurt (regular or Greek) — plain is best, flavored varieties will have more carbohydrate
- Cottage cheese — try 1% or 2% low-fat cottage cheese to cut back on the calories
- Frozen peppers and onions — you can add these to egg sandwiches, wraps or omelets
- Fresh tomatoes — these also go well with egg sandwiches or cut them up cottage cheese
- Recommended to have one good table top freezer to preserve your food items to keep fresh all the time.
Diabetic Recipes: Quick & Easy Diabetic Recipes For Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Desserts & Snacks!
Mobile Application (TopAppz)
Diabetic 4 Cookbooks in 1: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Desserts
Book (Apandisis Publishing)