Rava pongal is made with sooji (Semolina) and moong dal, cooked with pepper, jeera, ginger and green chilli. I had rava pongal in a relative’s house for the first time and loved it a lot. Though she had made it with vanaspati, it was really tasting good. I tried one or two times after that, but could not get a hold on the recipe. Yesterday when I was browsing, chef Damu’s rava pongal came to my eyes. So adapted the recipe and tried today. It turned out perfect. I know many of my readers wait for this rava pongal recipe as there is a prompt in Google search itself as “rava pongal rakskitchen”. What a shame, I am just now posting this simple recipe.
Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Breakfast
Prep Time: 2 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Serves: 2
IngredientsMoong dal – 1/4 cup
Salt – As needed
To temperBlack pepper – 2 tsp
Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1 tsp
Cashew nuts - 8
Ginger, finely chopped – 2 tsp
Green chilli – 1
Curry leaves – A sprig
- Dry roast moong dal (paasi paruppu) until nice aroma wafts and turns golden here and there. Pressure cook with 3/4 cup water for 3 whistles.
- Dry roast rava too, in medium flame without changing its color but it should flow freely. I used roasted rava, so skipped this step.
- In a kadai, add ghee, temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table, in order. Give 30 seconds time between adding back pepper, jeera and cashew as it needs to get roasted. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Add cooked moong dal after mashing it.
- Add 1 & 1/2 cups of water, required salt and bring to boil. Add roasted rava in a sprinkled way as you stir. Lower the flame and cook covered.
- Cook for 5- 8 minutes or until the rava gets cooked soft. In between you can give it a stir. Finally I added a generous pinch of pepper powder for extra flavour.
- I made just half the amount I have mentioned in this recipe.
- Adding ghee or vanaspati enough is a must, otherwise it will be like a paste.
- My cooked dal had no water in it, so I have added 1 & 1/2 cups water. You can reduce water quantity upto 1 cup.
Serve hot with coconut chutney, best combination for rava pongal. You can top with ghee while serving if its too dry. Soft and flavorful rava pongal.
Vegetarian Recipes For Nutritious Life: The Ultimate Top 100 Healthy, Simple, Delicious Vegetarian Soup, Appetizer, Sandwich, Salad, Breakfast, Main Dish, ... Complete Vegetarian Cooking Book Series 3)