We know that flax seeds are very nutritious - lots of fiber and healthy fat, and very low in carbohydrates. And they are tasty, with a delicate nutty flavor. But how to get more flax into your diet? It needn't be difficult.
Remember: Flax seed is very high in fiber. Drink lots of fluid while eating flax. Whole flax seed will sail right through you - to get the benefits, grind flax seed into meal (or purchase it that way).
See links at the bottom of the page for more information about flax seeds.
Easy and tasty ways to add flax seed meal to your diet:
1) Put it On or Mix it In With Other Foods
- Yogurt and fruit
- Cottage or ricotta cheese and fruit
- Smoothies and shakes
- Mix it into pancake or muffin batter, or other baked goods (you'll probably need to add a little more water)
2) Make a Sweet or Savory Instant Porridge or "Mush"
The idea here is to pour boiling water over flax seed meal to make a kind of porridge that can be flavored in many ways, both sweet and savory. The amount of water will vary according to taste, but about twice the amount of water as flax seed meal is a good starting place. I also like to add a pinch of salt, and if I am going to the sweet side, a little sweetener as well. Let it thicken for a couple of minutes while the seeds absorb the water. If it's too thick and "gel-like", add more water.
Here are some ideas for "mix-ins" for flax meal.
- Peanut butter and cinnamon
- Any nut butter
- Cinnamon, sweetener, and butter
- Chopped Nuts
- Chopped Apple and cinnamon
- Chopped Peaches
- Sugar Free Maple Syrup
- Other sugar-free syrups
- Unsweetened coconut
- To make it deluxe, add sugar-free chocolate with the coconut
- Coconut milk and sugar-free jam (raspberry is good)
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded cheese and chiles (or pepper cheese)
- Cheese and chives
- Cheese and garlic
3) Flax Seed Recipes
Superfood Paleo Smoothies: 101 Delicious Vegan, Gluten-Free, Fat Burning Smoothie Recipes for Vibrant Health and Easy Weight Loss (Gluten Free Cookbook Collection 3)
Superfood Paleo Smoothies: Easy Vegan, Gluten-Free, Fat Burning Smoothies for Better Health and Natural Weight Loss (Quick and Easy Gluten-free Recipes Book 4)