It can be tough to find a full autoimmune protocol friendly sausage recipe. Nightshade spices are very common, but even more so are the many seed-based spices that many people with autoimmune disease are sensitive to. I developed this sausage recipe to provide a healthy, high-protein breakfast for even those following the strictest version of the autoimmune protocol. I typically make this with either grass-fed ground beef or grass-fed heart meat which I trim and grind myself in my Food Processor. I also usually make a double batch and the reheat leftovers for quick breakfasts on subsequent mornings. Yields 3-4 sausage patties.
1. Combine spices with beef and mix well (I like to use my hands for this step).
2. Form sausage into patties (I typically make 3 or 4 patties per pound). Alternatively, you could buy Sausage Casings.
3. Heat tallow in a skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Cook sausage patties for 8-10 minutes on the first side. Flip and cook for another 7-8 minute on the second side, until fully cooked.
5. Alternatively, place sausage patties on a cookie sheet and bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes (no need to flip mid baking).
The Kansas City Barbeque Society Cookbook: Barbeque...It's Not Just for Breakfast Anymore
Book (Kansas City Barbeque Society)