The Breakfast Club opened in theaters on Feb. 15, 1985. It has since become a classic, celebrated not only for capturing the decade from which it originated but also for nailing the hapless, yet hopeful angst of teenage life in any decade.
Even thirty years later, there's a lot to learn from this story of five disparate teens – Andy the Jock (Emilio Estevez), Brian the Brain (Anthony Michael Hall), Bender the Criminal (Judd Nelson), Claire the Princess (Molly Ringwald) and Allison the Basket Case (Ally Sheedy) – forced to spend Saturday detention together. Here's our take on the thirty best lessons.
(Language Warning: Lest you forget, this teen classic was actually rated R. These video clips feature teenagers talking like teenagers.)
2. The quickest way to unite a group of people is to give them a common enemy.
3. Using variations on the phrase "Don't mess with the bull. You'll get the horns" will only invite comparisons to The Breakfast Club's villain.
4. Sometimes the most interesting person in the room is initially the quietest.
5. Dandruff + wet ink = a winter snowscape.
6. Don't ever put down the janitor. He knows more about you than you think.
7. Success in high school doesn't necessarily translate to success later in life. In fact, you see that the very same man who's now the Shermer High School janitor was his graduating class's man of the year not that long ago.8. Bad boys and good girls can be a winning combination.
9. Hall monitors were wrong to stop you; running through the halls is one of the most fun things you can do at school.
10. No, scratch that. The most fun you can have at school is dancing in the library to "We Are Not Alone."
11. Smoking marijuana may have unexpected acrobatic effects on high school jocks.
12. The absolute height of high school sophistication is Molly Ringwald's character Claire eating sushi out of a bento box – in 1985, no less. And the absolute height of high-school weird is Ally Sheedy's Allison making a Pixie Stix-and-cereal sandwich.
Melissa & Doug USA Map 51 pcs Floor Puzzle
Toy (Melissa & Doug)
iPhone6 Plus Sports Armband, Nancy's shop Easy Fitting Sports Universal Armband With Build In Screen Protect Case Cover Running band Stylish Reflective Walking Exercise Mount Sports Sports Rain-proof Universal Armband Case+ Key Holder Slot for Iphone 6 Plus (5.5 Inch) (Dark blue)